Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I'll Take You There

Sorry it's been such a long time since I have updated this! I know I said I was going to keep up with it, but it has been crazy around here. So I am playing catch-up now. Here goes Blog Number One of my series of "catching up" blogs!










As some of you may know... We took a small trip over the Labor Day weekend... Tyler and I are suckers for the Travel Channel and Food Network. Anything we see on there that is even somewhat close, we try to make plans to go someday. We finally got around to going to our very first Mildly Famous Restaurant... Stay tuned for more of these, but for now here is our adventure in Barbeque...




This is The Skylight Inn... They are the self proclaimed Barbeque Capital of the World...





Complete with tin rotunda. Yes this is cheesy as all get out but I thought it was pretty darn cool.





Tyler was so embarrassed that I was taking all these pictures. There were only a few people there, and they were locals... I got a few strange looks.





OK so this is the picture of my wallet... with no cash in it... Why? Because this place is very um.... shall we say... RURAL. They did not take cards. So this is told to us AFTER they had scooped our meat into the little cardboard boats. So we ask, where is an ATM? They had to really think about it. That was a little unsettling, but they finally told us that there was one about 2 miles away.


So we drove the 2 miles to go get cash... We drove 2 hours for barbeque and we were going to get it, darnit!





Within this time a very cranky Reed fell asleep. We had planned on going inside so we could get the full experience... But that was not in the cards.





So Ty went in to get our chow. There are only about 4 items on the menu. I ordered a medium boat of pork which came with slaw and cornbread, I subbed the slaw for more cornbread.





Here is mine... That is the cornbread on my lap. Not quite what I was expecting... But I was determined to give it a try.





This is Tyler's... He ordered a large. The darker parts are what they call "cracklins"... That means pork skin... That is where all the flavor is, they say. This place smokes whole pigs for a really long time, and they chop it all up right there in the restaurant.





Tyler gave it a try... He is sort of picky about meat. It has to be really lean for him to like it.





I was pretty excited to try it... I love meat. All kinds. I could never EVER be a vegetarian.


Tyler liked it at first but he got a "weird" piece. I have no idea what that means, but here is his thumbs down... I was glad because I got to pawn off the yucky cornbread and I got the rest of his meat!





Maybe that is why I look like a fat kid with a piece of cake in this picture... But anywho... Here is my very excited thumbs up!



the end.





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




I am going to write a few more blogs today that will publish later this week. I will try for a blog a day until Friday! Bon Appetit!

0 comments: